Friday, February 12, 2010

"Mom, don't freak out, okay?"

We had a concerning and scary event happen in our house over the Christmas break. Let me just show you.


That is my son's chest. Here is a closer shot.


Let's just say that my stomach gets a little queasy when I hear those words, "Mom, I have something to show you so don't freak out okay?" Can anything good come after a statement like that? Well, I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that my son is doing better. These 'breakouts' would happen when he worked out, became angry, played basketball, got embarrassed, etc. have lessened to only a few times a week now and not so severe. Believe me, I am not downplaying it. We have been through three blood tests and have one more to go, but so far he is getting back to normal. Well, whatever is normal for a 19 year old young man, that is! Seriously, his body is stabilizing from pills he had taken which resulted in some serious side effects. Praise God that He protected him and Jonathan hopefully will not have long-term side effects. We are still praying about that and would appreciate your prayers as well.

However, today I was thinking about how awesome it would be if I had a signal like this in my body when I sinned. Think about it. And let's take another look.

What if, when I: was hateful, was greedy, gossiped, idolized something other than God, lusted, coveted, was impatient, was mean, (shall I go on?), that I broke out in hives and red bumps like my son is doing? What if that was my reminder that I was about to go down a path that I don't want to continue? The great thing about it would be that I would stop some of my sinful habits real quick, wouldn't I? It would be a barometer of sorts, and it would certainly get my attention real quick. Of course...who wants to look like this every time they sin and who wants everyone to know WHEN they sin?

Well, we do have a barometer. It is the Holy Spirit and Jesus left him with us so that He would be our Helper. (John 14:25-29) I am thankful I have the Holy Spirit living inside of me to nudge me with a warning when I sin or to prompt me to keep me from sinning. I just wish I wasn't so stubborn that I sometimes need more of a jolt instead of a nudge to keep me from sinning or stop me from sinning!

Lord, thank You for Your Holy Spirit's work in my life. And dear Father, I am asking you to remind me that this is what my sin looks like in Your eyes. It is large, undeniable, red, bumpy, and not something I want anyone to see...especially You.


In His Love,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment