Saturday, February 20, 2010

This Says "Attitude" to Me



As I was downloading some pictures recently I came across this one and laughed out loud! These are two of my great nieces (Briley and Reagan) and I love them dearly. I had not seen this picture yet. This little Reagan has so much personality and I mean that in the most loving and affectionate way. She is the one rolling her eyes...or maybe she isn't, but it sure did remind me of earlier days of my life. I can't remember if she didn't want me to take the picture or what, but it reminded me of when I would see the 'eye roll' on my own children. Usually after I had just given a chore or we had a disagreement over an issue. Surely, you know what I am talking about. Sometimes they would have the nerve to do it right in front of me, sometimes they would do it as they were turning around and then at times they were walking away (and I still knew). We mothers know these things, don't we?!

I remember telling them often how very important it was to obey us in their actions AND ATTITUDE. I told them if they weren't obeying us with their heart (attitude) then they weren't really pleasing God or us. So, this picture of little Reagan brought back all those memories from years ago. So, I encourage you moms--it is so important to make sure your children aren't only doing what you tell them to do, but also that they are doing it with a happy heart! It would be beneficial to have them memorize this verse as well:
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor Your Father and Mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth." Ephesians 6:1-3

It may be hard to break the habit of 'rolling eyes', stomping feet, face-pouting, and a myriad of other 'attitudes' with your children, but it will be worth it in the end.
Lord, we pray you show us anything we see or haven't noticed in our children that we need to change in their 'heart attitude'. We pray for the power, wisdom, and perseverance to make those changes that You deem necessary. Amen.

In His Love,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment