Thursday, February 18, 2010

OH MY, Chicken Pot Pie

Recently we went out to dinner with my sister and her husband. My brother-in-law ordered chicken pot pie. He bragged about that pie the whole meal! My husband then reminded me of how I don't make chicken pot pie anymore. (I think I got burned out on it). However, after hearing about this pie throughout the whole meal I have to say that I wanted to reach over and take a bite, but I wasn't invited. So, I came home and looked up that old Keepers recipe (The one you will find in your Keepers cook booklet when you take the class). We have a Cooking Shortcuts skill session that is part of our curriculum and I incorporated my most used recipes into that booklet. See what you think about this:

Chicken Pot Pie

2 c. chicken, cooked and cut up
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 16 oz. can Veg-all drained (or 1 16 oz. frozen mixed veggies)
½ c. milk
¼ t. thyme
¼ t. pepper

Take one pie crust and lay in quiche pan spreading up the sides with your fingers. Mix all other ingredients together and pour into the dish with the Pillsbury all-ready pie crust in the bottom and sides. Cover with another pie crust and cut slits in top crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes to 1 hour.

Years ago one of my fellow home-school friends (Becky Deck) brought me this dish. It was love at first bite. It became an easy, delicious dish to make for my family and a favorite to take to other families--a great one for children. I have made some adaptations below as you will see.

I loved the idea of an individual serving like at the restaurant so, I tried using my chili bowls for the first time.

Then I found another bowl that I thought it would look cute in. Make sure your bowls are oven proof!

This is the mixture and another adaptation for me. I tried the frozen mixed veggies instead (same amount). I let the package sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This gave the pie a much better flavor.

Here is what it looked like just before I put the tops on. To make them in individual bowls required more of the Pillsbury dough than the recipe calls for so buy extra.


Look at these beauties BEFORE and AFTER! It's amazing what a hot oven and 40 minutes can do to a dish...kind of reminds me of what a hot shower and 40 minutes can do for improving me as well! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment