Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Was Duped!

Have you ever believed something for a long time only to find out it wasn’t true? Don’t you hate that feeling that comes along with it that makes you feel duped? That is how I felt years ago when I realized I wasn’t a tall person. I know that sounds funny, but most of my life I thought I was tall. Though my husband is really tall at 6’5” and my boys passed me in stature during their preteen years, I still thought I was tall for a woman. Not until my daughter passed me during her junior high years and my family began calling me ‘shorty’ did I come face to face with the ‘duped’ feeling! I had to face the truth. I began to realize that I wasn’t tall and never had been except in relation to certain people. It isn’t that I am a really short person; I am more average (on the short side) than I am tall. How did I live most of my adult life believing I was on the tall side? Looking back I realize it happened because I grew up with short friends. Most all of my friends were shorter than me. That didn’t mean I was tall though, did it? Think about this in relation to this Scripture and your beliefs:

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteous; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Yesterday during my Quiet time I learned that the word “reproof” means to undo incorrect thinking and behavior and realign with the truth (David Arthur—Lord, Help me Grow Spiritually Strong). Think about the meaning of reproof again and think about the incorrect thinking and behavior that is so prevalent in our society. It slips into our lives without us taking note and soon we don’t know that we believe a lie about how to live, think, act, and believe. It is the reason we NEED a constant diet of God’s Word. If we don’t have it then we begin to slip into the incorrect thinking of life and then we are duped! We can even begin to examine our Christian walk compared to the standards of others rather than examining our lives in the light of God’s Word. Incorrect thinking needs to be UNDONE! We do that with the Truth of God’s Word—no matter what the subject is. I NEED REPROOF IN MY LIFE! And I need it daily….how about you?!

In His Love,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment